I say I am an engineer, irrespective of the stream (branch) I studied, company offers job opportunity. What if I am a BA graduate studied in art? Why I cannot learn software testing and get a good job.
James Bach says that “Software Testing is skill of mind” It is an art which one can learn and practice. It is not Computer science completely. Some part is dependent but it is more of exploration.
I feel it depends on individual to learn. He can learn skills like exploration, asking questions, investigating problems, identifying bugs or writing a bug report. These skills can be learnt.
Anyone who wants to learn software testing course irrespective of degree he / she can join some good training institute who can offer good knowledge on software testing.
I feel software testing institute should provide:
- Basics of computers
- Software Testing methods, definitions, approaches and testing related terms.
- Awareness of myths, old practices like scripted testing approach, agile testing, context driven testing community and testing certifications
- Writing Bug reports
- Mind Puzzles
- Introduction to software testing tools
- Scripting language which will help you to build your own tool. E.g. Perl
- Practice, practice and practice sessions.
- Opportunities in software testing
- Walkthrough or testing demos
- Test Matrix
- Types of testing
- Communication skills specially dealing with developers, managers and client
Anyone who wants to learn software testing can learn. You need to have passion for it if not still you need to have urge to learn. Any profession which stops learning new things it stagnates. Growth stops. One day you get dead end in your career if you stop learning.
Software testing is ongoing process. Every project, every question, new context would teaches you new lesson. It is most happening field.
I do not understand what kind of business these software institutes are doing in India. 100% job guarantee in crash course or within a month. Though it’s lucrative offer but is it really fruitful? What is job guarantee?
Why not these institutes give guarantee of making thoughtful, thinker tester. And let the company select them. Why they do not have ability to teach or coach students to create their bright future.
Is there any school you attended which gave you guarantee of engineering or medical colleges? Is there any college gives job guarantee? Is there any company gives lifetime job guarantee?
I feel guarantee is illusion. But you can only guarantee of yourself. You can guarantee to strive hard to learn skills, to sharpen your saw. You can guarantee to serve better than your yesterday’s service. You can guarantee of yourself.
Let the world follow or choose you…
Sign Up for our newsletter. Get tips on learning Software Testing and Automation.
Latest posts by Savita Munde (see all)
- How to apply for Software Testing Jobs? - December 21, 2016
- Web Forms without Usability is harmful - November 28, 2016
- 9 Good Reasons To Choose Career In Software Testing - November 14, 2016