Have you ever wonder what would be the interview criterion for a Tester? I was reading latest Testing Circus Magazine Jan 2012. Saw an advertisement for hiring *passionate* software tester by Moolya, Banglore based IT company.
I really like the way Moolya represents them in industry. I read advertisement to see how people showcase their core value to the readers.
The qualities that Moolay is looking in a Software Tester are here –
- Testing experience – Web application, server, desktop, mobile apps and gadgets
- Understand client’s business goals and help to test those goals
- Exploratory testing approach ( * This is the best part of Moolya)
- Excellent English communication skills (*Its mandatory)
- Excellent in finding bugs and reporting in clear manner
- Good Learner
- Adapt new changes
- Lead a team of testers
- Asks important questions
- Risk analyst
- Good in determining test coverage
- True leader
- Skills of automation
- Open source testing tools
- Business analyst
- Read testing books
- Skilled in software testing
- Willing to be a part of an exciting startup
I was wondering that these are not only qualities that a tester should have. When I read Cem Kaner’s paper on “Recruiting Software Testers” then I made my skill’s list and then I realised that I am far behind the expectations.
It is mentioned in the Moolya’s list ‘Skilled in Software Testing’ what exactly testing skills? How can I acquire them? There are many ways to do it. It is just that you need to have the urge to learn software testing.
If I would re-write the requirements as a tester, then first thing I must ask myself, ‘Why people should hire me as a tester?’ ‘What is that the employer always looks forward in a tester?’
I came up with 8 qualities of a tester that I think tester should have before applying for testing job. While thinking these qualities I was looking myself in the mirror:
- Rapid learner
- Ability to test anything* (any device, software or website)
- Ability to ask as and when required appropriate questions. Please refer what is mean by *important or *appropriate.
- If a tester knows and practice exploratory testing approach then I think she is a ‘true leader’
- Communication skills
- Writing skills (specially writing clear and concise bug report)
- Good speaker and presenter
- Vigilant listener (when she talks with stakeholders)
- Knowing any programming language (which helps for automation)
- Team builder
- Testing skills comprises
- Finds Bugs
- Customer Focused
- Decision maker and problem solver
- Able to take criticism
- Detail Oriented
- Effective with stakeholders
- Determine and understand Testing coverage
- Collect Matrix and ability to represent test facts carefully
- Troubleshoots well
- Critical and System thinker
There are many skills one can have. The point is that a tester should be versatile and agile.
Though you may not be able to perform well in interview inspite of all the skills but leave the impression behind on interviewer that you are ardent and inquisitive tester.
Latest posts by Savita Munde (see all)
- How to apply for Software Testing Jobs? - December 21, 2016
- Web Forms without Usability is harmful - November 28, 2016
- 9 Good Reasons To Choose Career In Software Testing - November 14, 2016